Inspired by my dear friend Allison, I took up the challenge to take a photo each day in 2011 to document my life. I embarked on this with some trepidation (I was not sure I would remember to take a picture every day), and with some curiosity: I didn't have a plan for this project and I was excited to see how it would evolve. What would my life look like, day by day, throughout one year?

Well, one year on, I am addicted to this project. I already took a lot of photos of my children but I have loved the way the 365 challenge has disciplined me to think about and appreciate EVERY SINGLE day - and the precious moments in every day that in the past have flown by unnoticed... I am thrilled to continue with this blog in 2012 - although it really should be retitled: Day by Day 366! Looking forward to a new year...

Just click on any picture to see it enlarged!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 71: My campaigning companion


So today I had a brand new life experience: canvassing door-to-door, informing people about the school bond measure and encouraging them to vote yes. I can hardly begin to describe how greatly I dreaded this task. It is so odd to me that I am completely comfortable standing up to speak in front of large groups but the thought of walking up to a stranger's door and knocking has literally given me nightmares. So I took Johnny along with me and couldn't have asked for a better partner. He held the umbrella (it was POURING with rain), handed me leaflets at the right moment, fed me trail mix and remained cheerful throughout, even when it got so cold that I could hardly hold my pen, and so wet that my papers started disintegrating and our socks and shoes were sodden. He was wonderful - and it was a great civics lesson for him, which led to a great discussion about democracy and government over lunch. And the canvassing really wasn't too bad - most people didn't answer the door, but I had some good conversations, a couple with people wildly enthusiastic for the bond, and only got the door slammed in my face once. I don't think I'll have any more nightmares...

No comments:

Post a Comment